this list is a little lengthy so I’ll keep the intro brief. September is my favorite month because the first signs of fall are starting to show. the first is also my birthday and today was my best friends wedding, so this month has become even more special to me❤🍁🍃🎃☕ today was such a memorable day and before I get sentimental I’ll just get straight to the list of life lessons that I feel have been valuable and applicable to my experiences:
1. Accept yourself and where you are in your life. and I don’t mean to settle because you should never do that, but to acknowledge your feelings and the position you’re in because that is something that you are in control of changing. change is possible in any place at any moment in time.
2. Say no if you want to. find a happy medium between being kind to everyone, but not taking anyone’s shit when they don’t meet your expectations. it’s okay, and often necessary, to stand up for yourself and give someone an attitude when they cross any lines. you’re in charge of your life, nobody else is.
3. Do nice things for others. Help a stranger, donate to a cause, volunteer, help those in need and help those you don’t personally know. the gratification and life altering effect this has compares to nothing else in the world.
4. Support other women. Encourage other women. Feminism starts with aboliting jealousy and hatred and undertaking an attitude of success.
5. A good sunset is the best therapy.
6. Question everything. If there’s one thing I’ve learned in medicine so far it’s to be skeptical. We used to think the earth was flat and the atom was the smallest particle. Things we were so certain of were proven false. Question facts, question opinions and question things that give you that uneasy gut feeling.
7. Take chances. when opportunity knocks, say yes. you never know what doors can open for you.
8. Your parents don’t always know what’s best for you when it comes to your goals and your future, they may not always be okay with your decisions but that’s okay. Just make sure you always respect them and tell them you love them. A lot. Repeatedly.
9. Always keep learning. And read, a lot.
10. TRAVEL. far, often, and always. explore places that are exotic, different, far away and places that scare and excite you (but stay safe).
11. Never say no to pizza.
12. Family over everything. this includes your closest life long friends who are basically family. also, quality over quantity when it comes to friendships. Cherish the people who love, respect, and listen to you. The most special moments in life occur when you’re surrounded by friends and family who love you.
13. Take care of your skin, every day.
14. Take full responsibility for yourself because you’re an adult now, or almost there at least. Apologize, don’t make excuses, make mistakes but don’t repeat them, and always forgive and move on.
15. Never give up on a big, intimidating, time consuming goal for a smaller, faster one.
16. No matter what the situation, have a positive attitude, not always for others but for yourself. your inner energy and attitude sets the tone for your day, and ultimately, your life.
17. Work hard, work often, and work multiple jobs while you can. Save money for the future but also for things like traveling, and spend that money on making the best memories you can. Memories and experiences are more valuable than anything materialistic.
18. Stop waiting.
19. Your environment should motivate you. if it doesn’t, you’re not in the right place.
20. Cats make things messy, but they’re a cute, furry little friend to come home to.
21. Let go of perfectionism and just do the things you want. Be in a state of appreciating how far you’ve come but also constantly trying to improve. Setting specific goals with deadlines has changed a lot for me, even if it’s as little as how many books I want to read in 1 month. Try to teach yourself the habit of setting your own goals and being the only one to hold yourself accountable when it comes to achieving them.
22. Invest in your health, regardless of how busy you are. You will find a way to do the things that are important to you. this happens when you really find out what it is you care about making time for, and what you feel is worth putting your energy into. Time will never be ‘found’ and you won’t get something done when you have more of it, because the reality is that you never get more time. If you want something and it’s important to you, you’ll find a way to make it happen.
23. Don’t play it safe all the time. If you’re not making mistakes you’re not doing it right. but when it comes to making decisions, always sleep on it and never let your emotions dictate your decision.
24. Trust yourself and live in the moment.